Friday, December 9, 2011

When it rains, it pours...

They say, “When it rains, it pours.”

I’m dealing with a few ‘challenges’ in life right now…yesterday I got an added bonus.

Yesterday, on my way to work, I noticed my car was shaking violently. The check engine light has been on and off over the past few weeks. I decided to turn around and head back towards a repair shop I normally go to. Well, I didn’t get far before my car was un-drivable. I pulled over, got out…and realized I was practically driving on my rim. My tire had blown out.

I called my mom, who said she’d swing by the repair shop and pick up someone to help us. As I hung up the phone, a gentleman pulled over and offered to help. I politely declined, telling him that help was on the way. He said, “Are you sure? I can do it no time…I have all the tools.” After I asked if he was certain, he backed up, hoped out, and got to work on my tire.

I called my mom to tell her not to come and that I would call her when I got back on the road.

He finished in less than five minutes. I thanked him and asked for his business card. He handed it to me and it reads, “Mobile Car Repair.” This was his job, but he didn’t ask for payment. He was doing his good deed for the day.

I called my mom to let her know I was on my way to the tire store. This is her side of the story:

Around 9:00 this morning Lauren called and was saying that her car was sounding really weird and it would hardly get up EMI Hill. I told her to turn around and slowly make her way back to Dennis’ Auto Repair. I told her I would come meet her there. She called me right back and said the noise she was hearing was that she was driving on her axle and that her tire was completely shred. I told her to pull over and I would be right there. By this time she had almost made it back to 1431 and Nameless Rd. So I got in my car and was trying to think who I could call to come help us change the tire. I am still sitting in my drive way at my office; my first call was to Dennis’ Auto Repair. I was going to see if Ronnie Kelso could come help us, but was told that he no longer worked there. So my next call was to Brother David. He said he had one of his mechanics on his way back from town and he would call him and see where he was. In the meantime, Lauren called me back and said, “Mom, never mind. I have someone who has stopped to help me.” So, I came back in to my office and continued to work, which was really out of character for me, because any other time I would have continued to go and check on her, but I didn’t.

I was sitting at my desk and all of the sudden I had this overwhelming feeling that I was not alone in my office and I heard a voice, my Mom’s voice, say to me, “She is going to be fine, I sent someone to help Lauren.” It was the most unbelievable feeling in the whole world and totally indescribable. I just started crying and I said, “Thank you, mommy.” I wasn’t sure how I was going to explain this to anyone, so I kept it to myself for a short time. Maybe 10 minutes passed and Lauren calls and she says it’s all done. She said out of nowhere a gentlemen drove up, a mobile auto repair guy. She didn’t even see which direction he came from, she just knew that someone appeared to help her change her tire. When she told me she didn’t even know where he came from, I knew right then and there--I knew exactly where he came from. Thank you Nanny, you are still watching out for your baby girl, Lauren.

As you can probably imagine, tears were streaming down my face as my mom told me the story. My whole life, Nanny told me that I would “never be able to get rid of her” because she planned to “haunt” me in the afterlife. It was more a joke than anything, but I knew that when she said she'd always be my guardian angel that she meant it.

My mom is right. I have no idea where the man came from…I don’t even know where he went. But I know that he was sent to me from my Nanny.

So, there you have it. During my rain storm, Nanny was my silver lining—my Guardian Angel.

Thanks, Nanny. We miss you.

1 comment: