Thursday, December 29, 2011

It's that time again...New Year's Resolutions

It's just about that time again...the time to make a list of all the things I want to change/start/finish/do in the new year.

I took a look back at the past two years.

In 2010, my only resolution was to visit the gym 100 times before buying any new clothes. The hope was that I would be saving money and losing weight, so that at the end of 100 gym visits, I would need new, smaller clothes. I definitely visited the gym more than 100 times in 2010. I also lost weight and needed smaller clothes. I suppose my resolution was a success.

This year, my resolution list was slightly longer. It included: paying off my credit cards, complete a 5k, build up savings account, continue weight loss though exercise and healthy food choices, read a book for fun, and increase young alumna participation in the Austin Kappa Alumnae Association. I did a check in August to see my progress, but let's see how I did overall:

Well... I paid off my credit cards and my car. Boom.

I also completed two 5k runs...the Diva Dash (which I am already signed up for in 2012) and the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure.

My savings account DID have money in it... until Miss Bayla got very sick and my car required some work and new tires. But, the positive here is that I was able to use the savings I had built to tackle problems as they arose. I didn't have to worry about charging up credit cards or scraping by to pay for repairs. I had the money.

I did 'ok' with my goal of weight loss through exercise and eating right. I wouldn't say I'm happy with my current weight, but the Fall school semester was very trying, and unfortunately my time at the gym was cut short; however, I've been working with a personal trainer for several weeks now and she says my strength is increasing. I look forward to getting back to "me" in the coming year.

I read one book, other than school books. It's called, "The Five Love Languages." I highly recommend it to all my couple and married friends. It will change how you view your relationship with your significant other. And, if it's not too late, it might save it, too.

And as for Kappa, I have done my best. As Chair of Night Owls, I have hosted an even each month and have seen a variance in participation. Some months are better than others. The point though is that at Founders Day this year, I knew everyone (except one) at my table. I'd say that's a mission: accomplished.

So, on to 2012. I'm looking forward to 2012. I feel like it might be a benchmark year for me. Or, at least I hope it is.

I haven't decided on all my resolutions/goals yet. I'll start with these:

1. Move out of my parents' house. (Again.)
2. Complete Graduate School.
3. Travel to a new city, i.e. Chicago, Nashville, Baltimore, etc.
4. Make at least one recipe each month from the magazines I get in the mail or buy at the store.
5. Still thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment