Saturday, August 7, 2010

Needing a vacation after my vacation...

I have decided that weekend trips to anywhere outside of Texas are just not ideal in the ways of vacationing. As I posted before, the "W's" took Denver last weekend. Mom, Dad, Lana, and I drifted off to a peaceful sleep between midnight and 1AM thursday night...and we awoke at 3AM to head out to our early morning flight and whirlwind weekend.

We landed in Denver around 7:30AM and bussed over to get a rental car. That was an ordeal. We finally got it all worked out and drove off in to the sunrise to discover Denver. First we found ourselves at the US Mint in downtown Denver. The tours were full, but really Dad just wanted to hit the gift shop...

Next we ate a big lunch at Macaroni Grill before heading to Silver Plume, CO to take a ride on a steam engine train... as we walked up to the entrance, we heard a woman mutter, "Bummer." We didn't know what she was referring to until we got a little closer-- the train before ours derailed. What? Are you kidding me? DERAILED?! That can still happen in 2010?! Well, no one was injured and it didn't seem to bother the train station workers all that much, but it did mean that we had driven almost an hour outside of Denver for nothing. Lucky for us, Silver Plume is rich with decrepit antique shops and strange residents. So, we spent the next several hours exploring Silver Plume, CO and Idaho Springs, CO. We checked in to our hotel with about an hour and a half to spare before our dinner reservations at The Aquarium. We were all exhausted after having little sleep and being awake so long, but when there's an aquarium in the picture, I don't need much more motivation. Dinner was wonderful. The restaurant had such a fun atmosphere. They had these sea horse salt and pepper shakers on each table...Mom wouldn't let me steal them, but it turns out they sold them in the gift shop. (Mom told me later that she was plotting to take them if they weren't for sale in the shop...thanks Ma!) After dinner we got to walk around the actual aquarium. It was like heaven on earth. We did come across one tank where a sea horse was laying on its side. I panicked. I made my mom check to see if he was sign of life. My heart was broken...until an aquarium worker happed to pass us. I asked her if he was ok and she replied, "Oh yeah, he's fine! We've had him checked out by one of our doctors (It had a fancy name, but all I could hear was "he's ok.") and he just likes being on his side." Two things: 1. Thank goodness and 2. I want to be a sea horse doctor! Anyway, the aquarium was great!

Saturday we awoke early to eat breakfast and walk the 16th Street Mall followed by the Denver Zoo. After another short rest, we gathered ourselves up and headed out to watch the Rockies/Cubs game.

It was a "quick and dirty" trip, but it was so nice to spend some time in 80 degree weather. But, there's no place like home!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the trip:

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like such a fun trip! And I can totally see you as a sea horse doctor!