Thursday, July 22, 2010

Happy Birthday, Nanny!

For those of you that knew her, you called her "Nanny." She was never "Mrs. Walden" or "Jean." To everyone she met she'd say, "Hi, I'm Nanny." Let me tell you a little story... everyone called her "Granny." But, in 1985 her favorite grandchild was born. I couldn't say "Granny" so I called her "Nanny" and her title was forever changed. I say I was her favorite, but she would only admit that to me. That's because her heart was made of solid gold. She didn't meet anyone that she didn't love immediately. I will take a second to say that I absolutely inherited that trait from her. I also inherited from her the desire to see the good in everyone. Nanny would have been 85 years old today. I very rarely have a day that I don't think about her. They say time heals all pain, but being without her never gets easier. I hope that the pieces of her that are part me never fade. Sometimes I worry that I'll forget what she was like, but the truth is...I'm so much like her that that may be impossible. So, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NANNY! We love you and we miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment