Monday, October 11, 2010

A sisterly void

On April 2, 2005, I made a lifelong commitment to be "womanly and true" to the Sisters of Kappa Kappa Gamma. It was a defining moment for me. I served as Panhellenic Delegate and the Chapter President. Both were rewarding experiences. Each presented challenges, but taught me something nonetheless.

I am coming up on two years since I graduated from UNT, but only recently have I felt the ache for sorority life. I suppose initially I was just missing the college life, but now that I am in Grad School, the void is Kappa. I am a member of the Austin Alumnae Association, and I have attended several Night Owl events as well as the Founders' Day dinner last year, but I find myself pining for more. What a relief it was to receive my dues statement. Yes, you heard correctly, I was excited to see that I owe money. And you want to know why? Because along with the dues statement came an opportunity to volunteer for all sorts of lovely things. Committees, event planning, advising...it was all there. And you better believe I checked off almost every box. Am I crazy? Perhaps. But am I thrilled to see where I will get to serve in the upcoming year? Absolutely.

No comments:

Post a Comment