Friday, October 8, 2010

Yoga-lovin' Baptist, Part II

Apparently this debate has me SO wound up that I thought it deserved a second posting.

On his website, Albert Mohler talks about the emails he is getting from Christian yogis. One of his "points" is this: "These souls claim to be Christian, but offer no biblical argument nor do they even acknowledge the basic fact that yoga, as a spiritual practice, runs directly counter to the spiritual counsel of the Bible."

Alright Mr. Mohler-- here you go. At the end of each class, my yoga instructor has us sit with our legs crossed, palms pressed together at the center of our chest. She bows and says, "The light in me honors the light in you. Namaste." Take a quick second to "Wikipedia" the term "namaste." It says, "I honor the Spirit in you which is also in me." It also can be translated as, "That which is of God in me greets that which is of God in you."

So, you want Biblical proof?

Psalm 27:1 The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 119:105  Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the Lord, do all these things.

1 John 1:5 This the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

Shall I keep going? Cause there are plenty more...

Does my yoga instructor believe in God? I have no idea. But does she judge her students faith? Never.

Albert. Al. Mr. Mohler-- get a clue. Ancient yoga practices have evolved. Welcome to 2010. As I stated in my previous posts, there are so many different types of yoga. Do not judge those of us who practice both Christianity and yoga. Believe me, it is entirely possible. And, to be quite frank, you're giving Southern Baptists a bad name. Please stop.
Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment