Wednesday, December 15, 2010

One Hot Mess

This morning I was roasting sesame seeds and almonds to put in my Ramen Noodle Coleslaw* (aka Asian Coleslaw). I was roasting them on the stove top, and if you've never done it they roast fairly quickly. It is best to continually shake the pan or stir it gently so that they don't burn.

Well, I got through the sesame seeds just fine; however, it took me THREE tries to get the almonds right. That's what I get for multi-tasking. The first batch got just a little too dark, and I didn't want someone to bite in to an over-roasted almond...so I pitched it.

Round 2 - The almonds came out perfectly. I am just a dumb-dumb. I poured them from the pan directly in to the Ziplock baggie. Uh, duh Lauren, they are hot. They melted right through the bag and spilled all over my kitchen floor. Keep in mind--now I'm going to be late to work because I have to clean up my mess AND roast ANOTHER batch.

Third time's a charm. I roasted them, probably not even enough, but by this time my co-workers are lucky I didn't say, "forget this," and return to bed...

Moral of the story. A heavy duty Ziplock + hot almond slivers = disaster on the kitchen floor.

*stay tuned for recipe on Waldie in the Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment