Saturday, April 11, 2009

Lauren Walden... Best Selling Author?

One of my favorite things to do is read. I have always loved to read, even as a little girl. My favorite books used to be the Sweet Valley High series. I could finish one in a single day. I loved everything about them. While in college, I had less of an opportunity to read "fun" books and instead was stuck reading textbooks, scholarly journals, papers, etc. Ick. But every once in a while I could find the time to indulge in a "just because" book. I must insert here that I sometimes still read "educational" books of the business and economic nature, which is why I love my friend Cullen. We share the same nerdy need to read that crap! Erin, Cullen's wife, finds that our addiction to such books is crazy... but she loves us anyway!

Now that I am a college graduate I seem to have lots of free time on my hands and have had the opportunity to read a lot since my Graduation. I generally prefer girly, "chick lit" books with high fashion, sorted drama, and a happy ending. I don't always read in the genre, but often.

For Christmas this year Jordan gave me 3 books that I have been really wanting to read. Now, let me just take a second to say that when I received them for Christmas I was so happy. Jordan and I have a way of being sort of practical in gift giving. However, sometimes we feel the need to be frivolous and ridiculous in gift giving. (For example, the time she bought me the Juicy Couture brown and pink wallet for my birthday... and the matching purse. Both brought me to tears.) Anyway, you may personally feel as though giving someone a book as a gift sucks... I adore love it! And, now that I have finished all 3 books I am even happier with the gift!

Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and Baby Proof, all by Emily Giffin are the books that Jordan gave me. They have been sitting in my "books to read" pile since Christmas. I have completed all three of them in I'd say about a week. The second two only took me about a day each to read. In each book I felt such a connection with the characters. Sometimes I didn't like the characters, but I kept reading. Their defeats reminded me of times passed, their victories reminded me to "keep my chin up." All in all, the books were great! I highly recommend them. The fourth book by Emily Giffin, Love the One You're With will be my next prey, which I plan on starting on Monday.

I have considered writing my own book. My friend Erin (whom I know will be reading this post) has encouraged me to write a book. She suggested it be a somewhat autobiographical story about my relationships; the good, the bad, the ugly. I don't know whether to be flattered or offended by her suggestion. (I think I have determined that I should just be flattered that she believes my tale would be entertaining enough to be a book!) I don't know how that would work, but I'm considering it! Who knows? You might one day see me one the "Best Sellers" list!

1 comment:

  1. YOU SHOULD BE TOTALLY FLATTERED. I think your life is made for a great tell-tale story! I will be the first in line for your book release for my signed copy! LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete