Thursday, April 9, 2009

Workin' 9 to 5... well, actually 6.

I just completed day 4 of my new job, and since I have been too tired each day to take a moment to write about it, here goes...

I am the newest Leasing Consultant for Gables West Avenue in the heart of downtown Austin. I love the location... I hate the drive. I hope to some day be able to move closer to downtown so that I won't continue to hate it. I leave every morning around 7:45am (which thank goodness I don't have to be there at 8) and I don't usually arrive home until right around 7pm. Thankfully I still live with my Mommy and Daddy, so I usually get breakfast, a lunch packed by Mom, and sometimes dinner. Ok, usually dinner. And in case you're curious, yes, my Mom does put little notes in my lunch box.

My office happens to be located a stone's throw away from the flagship Whole Foods Market. (Yes, I did say "stone's throw" which my almost-16-year-old brother said is "ancient.") On tuesday I walked (in heels) the block or two to get there and then sat by one of the fountains on my property to eat. It is serene and peaceful and I have come to adore my one-hour lunch.

One of the fountains where I like to eat my lunch.

Right now I feel utterly helpless. I have next to no idea what I am doing. If you came to my office and said, "Hello, I would like an apartment." I would reply with, "Cool. Me, too!" With every new job comes a time of adjustment, a learning process; however, I am impatient! I want to know everything right now. I don't have time to "learn" as I would prefer to "know." Luckily my co-workers do not hold it against me that I am clueless. They know what I refuse to acknowledge- that it takes time.


The view from the top- the rooftop terrace.


I will wake up early tomorrow, drive to work, and give it another go. Eventually it will come naturally. But for now, please don't ask me where the pool is, cause I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren...I know you well enough to say with confidence that by next week you'll know more about the business than anyone in the office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing location to work. I am moving back to austin in about 2 1/2 weeks and I am hoping to find something downtown. Maybe I will see you often, like the olden days. Hope you are doing well. Can't wait to run into you in Austin. How do we always end up in the same place?

    ReplyDelete