Thursday, November 4, 2010

Baked Sweet Potato French Fries

Lately I have been trying to experiment with new vegetables. I generally will eat any veggie. Except peas. Ick. Oh, or lima beans. Double ick. I am also not really a cauliflower fan...but other than that I love vegetables!

In the past, I have reserved eating sweet potatoes for when they are mashed and coated in marshmallows. A week or so ago, I gave baked sweet potato fries a try and they are great!

Ingredients
4 large sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for the pan
2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Wash sweet potatoes, then cut each potato into thin strips.  Place them into a large bowl and add oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and brown sugar.  Toss to coat potatoes.

3. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil. Sprinkle the baking sheet with remaining salt.  Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet in single layer.  Bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are done.

Here's what I did differently:
1. The sweet potatoes I bought were huge and I only needed enough for two people, so I used a potato and a half, and that was more than enough.

2. Instead of kosher salt I used sea salt. I had both in my pantry, I just went for the sea salt this time.

3. I skipped the brown sugar. I was out and I didn't think they needed it.

4. I almost peeled them by accident. You can if you want, but the skin makes for some crunchy fries--my favorite!

5. You may want to broil them for just a second so that they crunch up. I didn't do it and they were still great, but I'm a crunchy fry-kinda girl.

Enjoy!

Original recipe (and picture) borrowed from Our Family Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment