Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Marshmallows with Sweet Potatoes...aka Whipped Sweet Potato Bake

I have always said I don't like sweet potatoes unless they are mushy and covered in marshmallows. Well, I discovered that I'm a fan of Baked Sweet Potato Fries, but nothing says Thanksgiving like a whipped pan of mushy, delicious, marshmallow-y sweet potatoes.

This recipe uses canned sweet potatoes. I haven't "liked" sweet potatoes long enough to know if fresh ones make a difference...

Ingredients
3 cans (15oz.each) sweet potatoes, drained
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp. group cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3 cups Jet Puffed miniature marshmallows

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350*.
2. Beat potatoes, butter, and spices with mixer until well blended.
3. Spoon in to 1.5 qt. casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray; top with marshmallows.
4. Bake 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are warmed throughout and marshmallows are browned.

What I did differently:
1. When I make this tomorrow, I will substitute 2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.

2. I will use my biggest casserole dish and here's why: I want as much surface area as possible for the marshmallow topping. No bite is worthy unless it's got that white frosting of deliciousness on it...I will also probably use more than 3 cups of marshmallows.

Enjoy!

Original recipe borrowed from Kraft Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment