Just kidding. I have only eaten brussels sprouts once before I made these, and they had been brought to a company potluck a few years ago by a sweet German woman. So, they were disguised as "good" using lemon, butter, and a few other ingredients... Well, this recipe is no different. They are delicious and they are hidden among cheese, bacon, and butter. Yum.
50 g pancetta or bacon, diced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3 cup brussels sprouts, roughly chopped or shredded
1 lemon, both zest and juice
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon softened butter
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1. In a large sauté pan over medium high heat,warm olive oil and add pancetta. Stir often, until pancetta begins to brown and crisp.
2. Add shredded sprouts and incorporate into the pancetta and oil, scrapping up any bit on the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring often, until sprouts begin to wilt and turn bright green, about 7-9 minutes.
3. Squeeze the juice of a lemon over the pan, season sprouts with salt and pepper and taste. Sprouts should still be a little crunchy.
4. Remove from heat, and toss sprouts with butter, lemon zest, and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Here's what I did differently:
1. The recipe calls for "50g" of pancetta. I just picked up a package at the grocery store and used the whole thing. I do recommend that you drain off some of the grease before you add the brussels to the pan.
2. I don't think you really needs an entire tablespoon of butter, after they've been cooked in pancetta
Original recipe (and picture) borrowed from Simple Bites