Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mediterranean Chicken, Bean & Pasta Soup

This recipe is delicious! I made it a few weeks ago, in preparation for the cooler weather. Now that it's cold outside, this is the perfect soup to make you all warm on the inside.

Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil
1 large shallot, minced
2 medium carrots, cut into thin half-circles
2 large celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes, finely chopped, including juices
5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup ditalini (small, short pasta tubes)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
Grated parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add 1 large shallot, minced, 2 medium carrots, cut into half-circles, and 2 large stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Saute until the vegetables are beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.

2. Add 1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes, finely chopped, with juices, 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth, and 2 bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Uncover the soup, remove the bay leaves, add 2 cups chopped cooked chicken, 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, and 1/2 cup ditalini pasta (small, short tubes).

4. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the pasta is al dente, about 10 minutes.

5. Season with salt and pepper, add 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley and 8 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced. Garnish with grated parmesan cheese.


Here's what I did differently:
1. I bought a pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store deli. I think it was actually more work than just boiling chicken myself and shredding it.

2. I skipped the parsley and basil, only cause I was a little lazy I don't have those herb scissors yet.  

3. I used shaved parmesan instead of grated. It doesn't matter, I just liked it.

4. Just fyi-- I couldn't find the ditalini pasta or the cannellini beans in my regular grocery store. I came across them while picking up dinner at Mandola's one night. Hopefully your supermarket is a little more "cultured."

Enjoy!

Original recipe (and pictures) borrowed from Cookin' Canuck

No comments:

Post a Comment